David Benoit is the co-founder and General Partner of Aeton Law Partners, and he focuses his practice on transactional and litigation matters involving information technology, intellectual property, data security, and compliance.
Areas of Practice
David has been awarded the “AV Preeminent Rating” by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings. The AV Rating is the highest possible ranking given by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review for a lawyer and is established wholly on a peer review basis. The AV Preeminent designation signifies that David has been rated by judges and fellow attorneys as having the highest possible rating for legal abilities and ethical standards. The rating is awarded to less than five percent of all attorneys across the United States.
David has been recognized as a “Top Rated Attorney” in the area of Technology and Intellectual Property Law in both The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel magazines. David also has been included in the select listing of outstanding attorneys in Connecticut and New England by Super Lawyers for the years 2012 to 2020.
At Aeton, David counsels a broad range of clients, including individual entrepreneurs, early-stage ventures, e-commerce companies, financial services institutions, and global corporations, on a wide range of business and litigation matters, including software licensing, application development, copyright, patent infringement and enforcement, trademark prosecution, IP portfolio management, trade secret protection, business structures, and mergers and acquisitions.
Having previously served as corporate counsel for The Hartford Financial Services Group and its investment advisor Hartford Investment Management Company, David was responsible for a host of technology, intellectual property, investment, and finance matters involving complex, multijurisdictional legal and business issues. Prior to The Hartford, David was in private practice with the law firm Thelan LLP where he counseled clients in the areas of intellectual property, information technology, and complex litigation.
Known by his clients for his ability to solve problems effectively and fuse creative thinking with practical business experience, some of the largest and most respected corporations have relied on David to optimize their technology form agreements and contracting strategies.
” David is an exceptional businessman and attorney. He was a great business partner to me and was instrumental in our outsourcing of numerous functions, including most of our IT and procurement operations. He understands the law, the underlying business, and, most importantly, the corporate culture of those with whom he works. When he makes a recommendation, you can count on it being technically correct, legally sound, practical, and consistent with the company’s culture. In short, his ideas are original, and he is able to make them work in the real world. I highly recommend David. If you have the opportunity, hire him.”
– Corporate Secretary, Top 5 Global Energy Company
” David is one of the brightest, most ethical people that I know. His business solutions are creative and effective. He brings a clear sense of ethics to all that he does.”
– Assistant General Counsel, Global Financial Services Company
“ I have known and worked with David over the past ten years and find him to be a person of high integrity and honesty. He is extremely hardworking, and his business acumen and legal expertise have been invaluable to me and the companies I have worked for over the years. David’s intelligence and ability to make complex legal concepts understandable makes him a fantastic partner. He brings a very ‘down to earth’ approach to all his relationships.”
– Vice President Sourcing, Contracting & Procurement, Fortune 100 Life Insurance Carrier
“ David is a highly skilled lawyer and entrepreneur. His legal background and business acumen make him uniquely qualified to navigate complex issues and drive innovation and profitability.”
– General Counsel, Global Insurance Carrier
“ I have always found David’s advice on legal and business matters to be insightful and invaluable. David has the ability to quickly discern and focus on the most critical aspects of legal and business matters. He is able to understand not only the legal aspects of a situation, but also complex business, financial, and technical concepts. As strong as his legal expertise is, his business acumen is equally strong. This is a rare combination that I find extremely valuable and always useful. I often seek David’s insight on strategic opportunities whether or not there are strong legal considerations.”
– Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Global Investment Management
“ David is a great partner to work with. In my experience, he is very knowledgeable and diligent in his work. He delivers top quality results and he excels in negotiations. I learned a great deal when working with David and use lots of the lessons he taught me in my current position today. ”
– Senior Director, Global Health Insurance Carrier
- J.D., University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- B.A., University of Connecticut
- New York
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
Honors and Awards
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2011 – 2012
- “Top Rated Attorney” – American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, 2012 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Mensa – Connecticut/Western Massachusetts Chapter
- International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP)
- Professional Risk Managers International Association (PRMIA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Connecticut Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Past Employment Positions
- The Hartford Financial Services Group
- Thelan LLP (formerly Brown Raysman LLP)