N. Kane Bennett
Neyah Kane Bennett is the managing partner of Aeton Law Partners LLP. He is AV judged rated by Peers and Judges. The AV Rating is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards. In 2014-2022, he was awarded the Super Lawyer designation for business litigation. He authored the business torts section of a book for ALM on the topic of civil discovery in Connecticut. He recently published “How to Bulletproof Your Business, Ten Tips from Ten Years of Business Disputes.” The book includes an easy to use checklist and features very practical advice on avoiding lawsuits for small to mid-sized business owners. Attorney Bennett is also the publisher of the Connecticut Business Litigation Blog. The blog is in its ninth year and covers a variety of legal topics impacting business in Connecticut.
Attorney Bennett’s practice at Aeton includes representation of individuals and businesses in a range of trial and transactional matters, such as business, employment, commercial law, technology, and complex personal injury. In addition, he provides general counsel services to individuals and businesses related to litigation, contracts, technology, employment matters, and risk management issues throughout Connecticut. He also regularly handles cases in Massachusetts and other states.
Litigation and Trial Experience
Attorney Bennett tried his first jury trial case on the day he passed the bar exam more than 20 years ago. He has been in and out of courtrooms ever since on all types of cases throughout Connecticut and in multiple states. He started his career as a prosecutor in a jurisdiction with significant levels of serious crime. He received training in trial practice and investigative tactics from senior trial attorneys both locally and nationally. He has tried numerous jury and non-jury cases to verdict and questioned hundreds of witnesses under oath in court proceedings.
Attorney Bennett moved on from his job as a prosecutor to join one of Connecticut’s largest litigation and trial firms. There, he gained extensive training and experience in civil litigation working alongside and under the supervision of notable veteran attorneys. After several years of practice and reaching the status of Partner, Attorney Bennett moved on to form his own law firm, Aeton Law Partners.
Attorney Bennett has represented several companies and business owners in matters involving breach of fiduciary duty lawsuits, employment claims, shareholder rights and protection of trade secrets. He has handled litigation and trial matters involving financial investors, minority and majority shareholders, dissolution proceedings, and shareholder disputes. He has acquired significant case handling experience in the area of shareholder rights, including both the defense and prosecution of claims for shareholder oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, and dissolution. He has also represented nurses, physicians, and other health care practitioners in all types of disputes concerning ownership rights and business matters as well as cases with employers involving compensation, termination, and medical staff privileges.
Transactional Experience and General Counsel Services
Attorney Bennett’s transactional purchase and sale practice steadily increases each year as many of his clients either acquire a new business or sell the existing business. His more recent transactions include seller representation for the sale of a healthcare technology company to a strategic acquirer and buyer representation for purchase of an ambulatory surgery center. Attorney Bennett’s transactional practice developed after many years of representing small market businesses as outside general counsel. Attorney Bennett’s business, employment and commercial litigation cases frequently resulted in settlements or business deals that required transactional work. His clients requested representation on all transactional and litigation matters to include negotiating employment agreements, general terms of service, master services agreements, corporate governance, technology purchases, and risk management. Today, Attorney Bennett’s transactional practice continues to include general counsel services for small to mid-sized businesses, and transactional counsel for purchase and sale agreements. Attorney Bennett also frequently advises clients on new business startups from partnerships to more complex corporate structures
Law Firm Management and Technology
Early in his career, Attorney Bennett started to adopt new legal technologies to increase his service level to clients. He has continued to stay on the leading edge in the use of legal technology. Aeton Law Partners was one of the first firms to use only digital files and cloud based practice management. He also published a column for the Connecticut Law Tribune on various technology platforms to help attorneys deploy better methods of law firm practice and management. Attorney Bennet was an early adopter of Artificial Intelligence (AI) law in law firm management and practice. He has implemented several AI-driven solutions at Aeton for attorneys and staff with the goal of fully autonomous tasks and next generation employee self-help solutions.
Industry Knowledge and Publications
Attorney Bennett is the author of the recently published book “Bulletproof Your Business, Ten Tips from 10 Years of Business Disputes.” The book includes an easy to use checklist and features very practical advice on avoiding lawsuits for small to midsize business owners. Attorney Bennett is also the publisher of the Connecticut Business Litigation Blog. The blog is in its ninth year and covers a variety of legal topics impacting business in Connecticut. Attorney Bennett also has been featured on video or quoted in the news media on his own cases or for opinions on other legal matters.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Cum laude
- Honors: Law Review
- University of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association
Published Works and Seminars
- Virtual Panel – Small Business and Artificial Intelligence (2023)
- How to Bullet Proof Your Business – Ten Tips from Ten Years of Business Disputes (2019)
- Co-Author of the Business Torts section of CT Civil Discovery Form, CT Law Tribune (2012)
- Head in the Clouds: The Ethical and Practical Considerations for Attorneys in Cloud Computing (2013)
- Dare to Go Digital: How a 21st Century Law Firm Can Increase Productivity and Profits by Smart Use of Technology, Connecticut Bar Association Annual Meeting (2011)
- Design and Management of the Lean Law Firm, CT Bar Association Small Firm Management Section (2011)
- Alternative Fee Arrangements: Where Are We Now and How Are Firms Changing to Implement AFA’s, New England Legal Marketing Association (2011)
- Firm Future, Practice Management and Legal Technology, The Warren Group (2010)
- Find It Free and Fast on the Net: Strategies for Legal Research on the Web, National Business Institute (2010)
- Flash Forward or Lost: How Technology is Changing the Practice of Law, and What’s Next? Connecticut Bar Foundation (2010)
- Commercial Litigation Roundtable, Managing Litigation, Council on Litigation Management (2010)
- The Business of Law: Does It Have to Be Profits v. Ethics? A Discussion of Alternative Fees. New Jersey Institute for Legal Education (October 2010)
- Technology Basics for Solos and Small Firms, New Haven County Bar Association (2009)
- Don’t Get Caught Operating Without A License, For the Defense (DRI 2008)
- Product Liability Defenses: A State-by-State Compendium, Connecticut Chapter, (DRI 2007)
- Speech Recognition Software More Reliable Than Ever, CT Law Tribune (2007)
- A Better Option for Viewing Transcripts Electronically, CT Law Tribune (2006)
- Sore Thumbs Up to Lawyer Mobility, CT Law Tribune (2006)
- When is it Timely to Bring a Third-Party Indemnification Action in a Product Liability Case, The Defense, Journal of Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association (2005)
- Low Digital Prices Facilitate Video Depositions, CT Law Tribune (2005)
Attorney Bennett is a proud contributor of various groups including the National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI), and the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation. Aeton is committed to charitable work each quarter with the goal of supporting the preferred charity for all Aeton employee’s. Aeton features its work in its newsletters updates to clients.