Connecticut Dog Bite Lawyer | Free Legal Consultation
If you or your loved one has suffered bite injuries due to a dog attack, Connecticut state law permits you to seek compensation from the dog owner. It’s best you seek a dog bite lawyer to help you seek compensation. An attorney can help you recover damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and mental anguish, as a result of a dog attack.
At Injured CT, a division of Aeton Law, we have highly experienced dog-bite attorneys serving clients across Connecticut. Contact us today at (860) 724-2160 to receive the legal aid you need.
What Should I Do if I Was Bitten by a Dog?
After a dog bite, it’s best to take steps to promote your safety and preserve evidence for your Connecticut dog bite claim case. Make sure you follow these steps regardless of whether your injuries are mildly traumatic or seriously life-threatening. Here’s what our reliable Connecticut dog bite attorneys recommend.
- Identify the animal that bit you and get as much info about it as possible, including the dog breed and owner.
- Take pictures of your injuries to have an easier time making a compensation case against the dog owner.
- Collect the dog owner’s information, including their name, contact, and insurance details.
- Collect witnesses’ information, such as their names, contact information, and addresses.
- Seek medical treatment from a medical professional as soon as possible. Remember, even minor dog bites can cause severe infections like rabies and tetanus.
- Report the incident to the relevant authorities, including the Animal Control Division in Connecticut.
- Preserve all your documents and records of your dog bite injuries, treatment, and medical expenses to use as evidence for your dog bite case.
- Contact a reputable Connecticut dog bite lawyer with experience in the field to lead your personal injury claim.
Who Do I Report a Dog Bite to in the State of Connecticut?
Aside from the Animal Control Unit, it’s critical that you also visit your local law enforcement offices in Connecticut or call 911 to report your dog bite incident. Police will investigate the incident and help capture the animal or identify the owner. Keep in mind that police reports of dog bite incidents can also be crucial evidence.
If you are severely hurt, ensure you request emergency medical services. If you are unable to, inform any witnesses at the scene to call 911.
Why Should I Hire a Connecticut Dog Bite Lawyer?
There are many reasons why it’s best to get a dog bite attorney from Connecticut to pursue your injury claim. Our legal team at Aeton Law can help you in many ways, including:
- Gathering critical evidence witness statements.
- Looking for experts in different fields, like veterinarians, to testify in support of your dog bite case.
- Collecting the dog’s records and other necessary information from the police and the Animal Control Division.
- Calculating your total damages.
- Negotiating with the dog owner’s lawyers or insurance company for a fair settlement.
- Representing you in court in case your dog bite claim case goes to trial.
Who Is Responsible for Dog Bite Injuries?
In Connecticut, both the Dog Bite Statute Law and Common Law can apply when determining responsibility for dog bite injuries, depending on the case. In both legislative instances, the dog owner or keeper is the first party to be held liable for bodily injuries or property damage caused by their dog.
Under the Dog Bite Statute, the dog bite victim (the plaintiff) isn’t required to demonstrate that the dog owner or keeper (the defendant) was negligent or aware that the dog was vicious. Under
Common Law, the dog bite victim has to demonstrate that the dog owner or keeper knew or should have known the dog was vicious.
What Type of Compensation Can I Expect in a Dog Bite Case?
Under Connecticut state law, the following damages can be awarded for dog bite claims:
- Economic damages: Awarded to compensate for medical expenses, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages: Awarded to compensate for emotional distress, loss of companionship, and pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages: Awarded if the dog owner or keeper showed extreme disregard for human life or if their actions were malicious or grossly negligent.
At Aeton Law, our Connecticut dog bite lawyers will fight for you, ensuring you get worthwhile compensation during settlement negotiations or your trial in Connecticut’s civil courts.
What Does Connecticut Law Say About Dog Bites?
• In Connecticut, the dog owner or keeper can’t be held liable for dog bite injuries if the incident occurred while the victim was trespassing or tormenting (abusing/teasing) the dog.
• Connecticut dog bite law presumes that people under the age of seven can’t trespass or torment, abuse, or tease a dog.
• If the dog bite injuries were caused by two or more dogs from two or more dog owners or keepers, the dog owners or keepers would be jointly and severally liable.
Statistics of Dog Bite Injuries
According to DogsBite, a dog bite victims’ group, you have a 1 in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog anywhere in America every year. Every day, roughly 1000 people are treated in Emergency Rooms (ERs) in hospitals countrywide for non-fatal dog bite injuries. Alarmingly, canines killed an estimated 521 Americans between 2005 and 2019, with pit bulls accounting for 66% of these deaths.
Are There Time Limits for Filing a Dog Bite Lawsuit?
In Connecticut, the time limit for filing a dog bite claim is two years (24 months) from the date of the attack. This is known as the statute of limitations.
Get In Touch With a Reliable Connecticut Dog Bite Lawyer Today
Have you been bitten by a dog in Connecticut? Have you sustained severe injuries? Do you believe the dog owner should have taken certain measures to prevent your injuries? Contact a dog-bite lawyer in Connecticut to discuss your case.
At Aeton Law, we are committed to offering you exceptional legal assistance in your dog bite injury case. Our attorneys have over five decades of combined experience dealing with injury cases. We can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Contact our reputable dog bite law firm in Connecticut to schedule your initial consultation. Let our skilled dog bite attorneys get started on your case.