Insurance Defense, Subrogation and Litigation
Our Connecticut insurance defense attorneys have years of experience working in all areas of insurance defense law. We handle cases in state and federal courts in Connecticut and Massachusetts. We represent clients in insurance defense litigation involving a variety of insurance types including:
- Commercial General Liability. Our attorneys bring more than 40 years of experience to insurance defense cases in Connecticut and Massachusetts. We handle several areas of traditional and specialty claims, including serious injury and death and large property loss claims. We have significant experience in fire and fire science related claims, including explosions.
- Technology Errors and Omissions (Tech E & O). We have years of dedicated experience in technology related issues for clients and defend matters at the request for insurers. With our technology background, we already "speak the language" and do not need to get up to speed. Our combination of skill sets make us uniquely qualified for this emerging area of claims and litigation. Our attorneys have represented individuals and businesses that provide technology-related services in disputes involving technology errors and omissions, loss of data, copyright infringement, negligence, breach of contract, business interruption, breach of warranty and unfair trade practices.
- Cyber Liability and Cyber and Data Risk. We have experience advising companies on the risks associated with security breaches and data loss. We help our clients manage risks to include regulatory actions by attorneys general and users claims for data privacy.
- Environmental and Pollution Liability. We represent several energy companies on behalf of insurance companies. We handle all types of claims ranging from improper mechanical installations in a residence to multimillion dollar spill claims at commercial terminals and explosions involving natural gas. We have specific experience with bulk fuel oil terminals, above ground storage tanks, boilers and furnaces, home heating oil, and natural gases. Read here for more information.
- Products Liability and Completed Operations. We have represented manufacturers, distributors and retailers in actions involving allegations of defective design, defective manufacture, lack of adequate warnings and breach of warranty. Over the years, we have defended product defect actions concerning a wide range of products from meat grinders and gas piping to machinery and consumer products. We have worked with leading experts in a variety of disciplines to support defense of these matters.
- Coverage B claims including libel and slander. Including copyright, trademark, as well as advertising and "coverage B" claims to include invasion of privacy, libel, slander, and misappropriation.
Our lawyers understand the insurance industry and have significant experience in insurance litigation matters. We will work to understand and implement the litigation and claims philosophy of our insurance clients. We have experience implementing early resolution programs and alternative fee engagements.Subrogation
We also represent insurers, helping to recoup losses paid out to insureds for a variety of matters including oil spills and fires. We have worked with several experts to assist with the recovery and litigation process so we are ready to begin at the time of engagement. We also can advise insurers on whether subrogation claims exist following a loss. We will work on a contingency fee basis or hourly basis depending on the engagement. Read here for more information.Local Counsel Services
Over the years, our attorneys have been hired to serve as local counsel in Connecticut by national counsel and out-of-state counsel for numerous matters. We understand the importance of client relationships and respect the national counsel role in these matters. As local counsel, we are willing to take on as active of a role as requested by the client and counsel. Typically, we will file a motion with the court early in the process to obtain pro hac vice admission for out-of-state counsel.
Fore more information on our insurance and litigation practice, contact attorney N. Kane Bennett at (860) 724-2163.